Wednesday, January 27, 2010

How the Riq (soft position) Can Help Split Finger Technique

Lately I have been putting in a lot of hours on my riq, I have played cabaret technique for quite a while. But because I had always owned exterior bolt tuned riq's I was never comfortable with soft position. I now own a Cooperman riq which is a total work of art, the interior tuning is wonderful. There is a previous blog entry about interior tuning VS exterior tuning that I have written. This entry is about improving Turkish split finger technique via the riq. For those of you not familiar with soft position, have a look on Youtube or at this link framedrums.net/index2.html David explains the soft position method very clearly.

Soft position is a pretty physical method, the fulcrum (where the drum sits in the saddle separated by the thumb and index) between your left and right hand should be evenly balanced. By pushing in with both index fingers you can feel the reaction in the wrists and mid forearm. As David describes in his online tutorial TAK notes are successful when the correct amount of index finger pressure is applied. If you were to have your index fingers pressed in and your ring fingers in the TAK position, then have your riq removed (and not move your fingers at all) you would see a stunning resemblance of split finger technique. If you have a riq nearby try it. Apply pressure with the index fingers, play a simple alternating pattern with using the TAK stroke. Pay close attention to how your wrist and forearm muscles react. Take a look at the undersides of your wrists, notice the slight movements? Now remove the index fingers and play the DOUM strokes with your ring fingers. This alone is working two methods, soft position on the riq and improving the wrist strength needed for split finger technique. I have had a huge increase in strength, control of my wrist and overall dexterity using soft position. Of course I still practice split on the darbuka and its obvious to me the relationships between both instruments. Have a look at this link for a info about the anatomy of your wrist and forearm. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flex...i_radialis

Additionally I have PDF files available with the soft position strength training methods I have been using, email me through Tribe or at info@larrysalzman.net

No comments:

Post a Comment